Date: April 2007
Infection by Human Immunodeficiency Virus resulting from:
- a blood transfusion given as part of medical treatment;
- a physical assault; or
- an incident occurring during the course of performing normal duties of employment;
after the start of the plan and satisfying all of the following:
- the incident must have been reported to the appropriate authorities and have been investigated in accordance with the established procedures.
- where HIV infection is caught through a physical assault or as a result of an incident occurring during the course of performing normal duties of employment, the incident must be supported by a negative HIV antibody test taken within 5 days of the incident.
- there must be a further HIV test within 12 months confirming the presence of HIV or antibodies to the virus.
- the incident causing infection must have occurred in European Union, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man.
For the above definition, the following is not covered:
- HIV infection resulting from any other means, including sexual activity or drug abuse.